Cancer patient dies after chemo overdose

Two weeks ago, Vincent Gargano was successfully receiving chemotherapy for cancer and was told by his doctors that he would soon be home. But he died earlier this week after a doctor accidentally prescribed an overdose of an anticancer medication, hospital officials said.

Mr. Gargano, a 41-year-old postal worker from Des Plaines, Ill., was admitted to the University of Chicago Hospitals on May 26 for his third and final treatment for germ-cell cancer.

The hospitals said that a resident doctor, in filling out a drug prescription for the pharmacy, reversed the amounts of two drugs that were to be given to the patient. As a result, for five days Mr. Gargano was given a dose of the drug cisplatin that was four times too high, the hospitals said. He died on Tuesday.  Read More….

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: