Studies expose concerns about use of popular diabetes drug

Can a treatment for diabetes damage your heart? A recent study has raised this possibility.

One of the fastest growing global epidemics is Type 2 diabetes. According to statistics from the Canadian Diabetes Association, more than 2 million Canadians have diabetes, and this is anticipated to rise to 3 million by the end of the decade. What’s more – and this is quite alarming – the condition is being diagnosed in a growing number of children.

There are two types of diabetes. Type 1, once called juvenile diabetes, is considered to be not preventable and accounts for only 10 per cent of all cases. Today, we will look at Type 2, which accounts for the other 90 per cent. It is the kind linked to obesity, which, along with lack of exercise, is a risk factor for the disorder. In fact, there is convincing evidence that Type 2 diabetes can, to some degree, be prevented and controlled through lifestyle modifications. Read More….

Advertisements

One Response

  1. […] Jenny wrote an interesting post today onHere’s a quick excerptOne of the fastest growing global epidemics is Type 2 diabetes. According to statistics from the Canadian Diabetes Association, more than 2 million Canadians have diabetes, and this is anticipated to rise to 3 million by the end of the … […]

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: