The Journal of the American Medical Association released a study that shows that there is a tremendous increase in prescribing anti-depressants to preschoolers aged 2 to 4 years old! The “Terrible Twos” are just that! If you start throwing these drugs at preschoolers, what are we going to do for them when they hit their teens? There has been a connection between school shootings and the shooters having been on these drugs!Gun violence in schools has actually gone down since 1992, while violence in general has gone up in schools! If a majority of the school shooters were on (or had abruptly stopped taking) anti-depressants then it stands to reason that most of the other violence in schools may be related to these drugs as well! I have read a lot about the Oregon shootings and how Kip Kinkle had been on prozac. I had heard that, but now a Vermont Outdoors writer has said that “Just about every massacre that occurred anywhere in the U.S. and Canada over the last decade has involved an individual using a prescription drug called Prozac or one of its relatives.”
We went through this in the Eighties for crying out loud! I thought doctors had learned how to use this stuff and monitor patients since we know that problems occur when they stop taking it!
We are locking up guns, limiting ammo, doing background checks, and in some states mandatory waiting periods but these doctors (and Parents) are putting kids on these anti-depressants without keeping a close eye on them afterwards!
These anti-depressants known as Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) have been known to help, but the problem arises when a patient stops taking the drug. We have known this since Prozac got it’s reputation in the Eighties when “everyone” was depressed. That gave us the “Going Postal” and the “Prozac Moment” sayings and these sayings have truth to them.
When one of these events happen, people,like our President, point at the guns, gun owners, and gun companies for being responsible! Why do they point at the tool and not the PERSON using the tool!
Automobiles kill more people than guns, but you don’t hear anyone calling for a ban on cars!
If there is any truth to the connection between these drugs and the shootings then these Doctors (and parents) are putting these kids on these drugs and not following up on them as necessary then maybe we should start looking a little closer at this situation! If there is any logic (and I don’t see it) to suing gun companies, then there is definitely logic in going after these Doctors (and parents) for putting these SSRI drugs into these children without following up and making sure that they don’t stop taking it.
From “Time-Outs” to not keeping score in sports, children today are being over protected from loss and failure. When a child seems stressed then they go for these drugs because “it is so much harder growing up these days”– BULONEY!
Every generation has it’s struggles and this generation is no different. Earlier generations had to struggle to survive and when you struggle with nature you have to keep score because if you lose, you die!
Before we fly off the handle, like our President has (more than once), maybe we should stop attacking and restricting law abiding citizens and take a closer look at the families of these children and the doctors that prescribed these drugs in the first place!
I would like the US Congress and the NH Legislature to read this article and check into this information so that maybe we can address the cause of the problem, which appears to be these SSRI Drugs and NOT GUNS!
Here are the last major school shooters and the link under each name is a reputable news source that connects them all with SSRI’s (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) like Prozac, Ritalin, Zoloft, Luvox, Paxil, and others:
1) May 20 1999: T.J. Solomon, a 15-year-old wounds six at Heritage High School in Conyers, Ga.. http://add.about.com/health/add/library/weekly/aa052599.htm CNN Reports That T.J. Solomon was on Ritalin.
2) April 16 1999: Shawn Cooper, a 15-year-old sophomore wounds one at Notus Junior-Senior High School in Notus, Idaho. http://www.boiseweekly.com/archive/v7i42/cope/cope_col.html Reports that Cooper was abused and medicated.
3) April 20 1999: Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold kill thirteen and wound twenty three at Columbine High School. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/daily/april99/antisocial04299.htm Eric Harris, The apparent leader of the attack had been on Luvox.
4) May 21, 1998: Kip Kinkel, a 15-year-old kills four and wounds twenty three at Thurston High School in Springfield, Ore.. http://www.drugawareness.org/washtimes.html Kinkle Had been taking Prozac.
5) March 24, 1998: Mitchell Johnson, 13, and Andrew Golden, 11, opened fire on their classmates and killed five and wounded eleven at Westside Middle School in Jonesboro, Ark..
Arkansas Online http://www.ardemgaz.com/prev/jonesboro/brygolden24.html Andrew Golden’s Medical Records released to Courts but not open to the public!
From Jon Rappaport of the Truthseeker foundation: http://www.nfgcc.org/schoolviolence.htm A Doctor from Georgetown University commented on Network television that one of the boys had previously been treated for violent behavior. (Treated with what?)
AND According to Arianna Huffington the following events are linked to Anti-Depressants as well:
6) Julie Marie Meade from Maryland who was shot to death by the police when they found her waving a gun at them. http://www.ariannaonline.com/columns/files/070998.html
7) Ben Garris, a 16-year-old in Baltimore who stabbed his counselor to death. http://www.ariannaonline.com/columns/files/070998.html
8) Kristina Fetters, a 14-year-old from Des Moines, Iowa, who stabbed her favorite great aunt in a rage that landed her a life sentence. http://www.ariannaonline.com/columns/files/070998.html
9) Pfizer, The Manufacturer of Zoloft is being sued by a Kansas family for the Suicide of their 14 year old son on Zoloft. http://www.ariannaonline.com/columns/files/061099.html
10) The estate of Brynn Hartman, Wife of the Saturday Night Live Comedian, Phil Hartman, is also suing Pfizer, since Mrs. Hartman had been on Zoloft when she killed her husband and herself! http://www.ariannaonline.com/columns/files/061099.html
These drugs cause side effects like insomnia, anxiety, and agitation. (From The New York Hospital Cornell Medical Center), and sometimes suicidal tendencies especially with fluoxetine (Prozac). These results have been found in adults and some young people, but the best course for prescribing SSRI’s to the young seems to be extreme caution.
How could so many of these legally drugged up kids have been left with out supervision?
After an hour or so of research I found this to be quite obvious! The main problem with getting information out is the fact that these are young people who’s records are sealed and cannot be accessed with out permission. Three weeks after the Columbine shootings the President held a conference on youth violence and declared “the best ideas from people who can really make a difference: parents and young people, teachers and religious leaders, law enforcement, gun manufacturers, representatives of the entertainment industry and those of us here in government.”
The President seemed to miss a very important factor in that conference and that was the mental health industry. Any mental health worker involved may have been able to add important information like the connection between these SSRI’s and many of these acts of violence. Everything about these SSRI drugs suggests that close monitoring would be very important due to the fact that the drug must be taken regularly and to stop taking these drugs can cause psychotic reactions.
Instead of spending time and money on the vehicle of violence, the gun, we should be investigating the cause of the violence, which very well may be the prescribing of these psychotropic drugs such as Ritalin, Luvox, Zoloft, Paxil, and Prozac to the young people of this country!
Filed under: Big Pharma | Leave a comment »